Thursday, May 2, 2019

You Can't Take It With You ...

.
Victory! in this week's Broadway 'can you identify?' stakes ...  Within 15 minutes of my posting this photo, back came the identification. From New York? Indeed no. Perhaps all my Broadway boys were sleeping. The answer came from Thomas Volk, producer, director, musician et al, in wildest country Germany ...


This photo, he suggested, and we have worked out, comes from the original production of Kaufman and Hart's You Can't Take It With You (1936). Because that it is, if I'm not mistaken, Paula Trueman in pointe shoes as Essie, Josephine Hull as Penny at the typewriter ...

Unfortunately, the web is overwhelmed with pictures and articles about the subsequent film, and all sorts of revivals, so I haven't been able to compare the photograph with other originals, but my Broadway Boys will doubtless be able to 'tag' the other folk ...

Grand photo of a grand play. From the days when comedies were really laughable ...



No comments: