Saturday, May 26, 2018

A French Pan Treat! or, the meal of the year ...

.
 We have a new restaurant in the Kiosk block in our street. A French restaurant. I think, chuckle, I might have mentioned it before. Of course, I, as a demi-semi-Frenchman (especially when it comes to food) am delighted. But it could have been a two-edged sword. If it had been old-fashioned French, with all those rich sauces … or if it had been mock-French, or MacDonalds French …

Well, as I’ve recounted: I and my friend Robert – the Statler and Waldorf of Yamba – put a toe in, then a foot, then half-a-leg … and I put a very definite ‘like’ on the facebook page of the French Pan Tree.

A few days later, this turned up on my time line …



Whaaaaat! A 14-kilo Jewfish, fresh from the ocean … on the menu tonight!

Statler and Waldorf had a nice gin (I have fresh Yamba lime, Robert likes tonic) and then met up and headed for Kiosk Street. 

Well, a nice bottle of Chablis … then a boeuf tartare … lovely! Not mince, but delicious little ‘bites’, all oiled and herbied … with the wine, it keeps you luxuriating for 15 minutes! That’s food!  And then the Main Event. This is what chef Charlie extracted from that huge beast. The best piece of fish I’ve eaten in … now, don’t exaggerate, Kurt … well, as good as any, ever. That’s 72 years of ever.




 We relaxed with a second glass of Chablis, then called for the cheese. I very rarely eat desserts, I prefer to take my curtain call with cheese. And this was Real French Cheese. I know, there are some excellent local cheeses here (six or seven of them are, right now, oozing on the top of my fridge … ON never in), but … well, French for the memory of the days when Ian andI went marketing for 500g of Conté, 500g of Cantal, 500g …

A little glass of calvados ..

But there’s one thing I can’t visit this restaurant without tasting. The home-made pâté. Well, since it didn’t fit with my meal, I bought some to take home. It’s sitting on top of the fridge next to the local cheese …

The French Pan Tree is sending me droolworthy pictures … but I must eat all this lovely market food I’ve stocked in! 



Once a week to Kiosk Street! Well, maybe twice …. 





No comments: