Saturday, June 4, 2011

Digging deeper I find ...


Underneath the ballet pictures there are some from the world of variety - I recognise Bud Flanagan, Danny Kaye, Cyd Charisse but who are 'the Blinard Brothers in their impersonation of the Andrews Sisters'? -- ah! Maybe Bernard Brothers?

 


and, goodness me, what is this. It looks like a meeting of a cell of wartime miscreants, plotting the downfall of the Empire.


What I think it is, is a gathering in the 1940s or early '50s, of the Society of Australian Writers at Dolphin Square, Pimlico, London. It is attached to photos of Hugh Hastings, Catherine Gaskin, Dymphna Cusak and a delicious-looking, too-writerish-to-be-true, wannabe (maybe he was, oh heck he was!) called Ralph W Peterson. Oh that sweater! Oh, that Colman moustache ...! 
  There's also one of Henry Handel Richardson, but I think she might not have been a current member, Anyway, I think it is a historical document, and .. is that Ngaio Marsh in the specs and woolly hat? No, can't be ..

1 comment:

dana said...

Hello. I found this image (
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-byLCk_-JZvA/TeriBSExMsI/AAAAAAAACso/w1zau5cTEiI/s1600/ozwriters.jpg) through Google Images. Could you please contact me to discuss its origin? If permissible, I may want to use this photograph in an online course I'm developing. Thank you, Dana (dwardlaw@edc.org)