Friday, January 12, 2024

The musical Haddocks of Leeds ...

 

The name Haddock in C19th Leeds was synonomous not only with the fishmarket but with music.

Many is the time I have written the biography of one of my Victorian Vocalists who hailed from the Northern or Midland part of England, beginning a pupil of Mr Haddock ....   Not always the same Mr Haddock, because there were several, all worthy performers, violinists, conductors and teachers ...

Amongst them were George Haddock (1823-1907) and his two youngest sons, George Percy (1854-1937) and Edgar Augustus (1859-1926).   Which meant that I went .. er ... what ... which? when this wonderful photograph turned up, today, on ebay ...


Yes, an historian's dream. Date, place ...  Only one problem. Is that initial a 'G' or an 'E'?  I hie me to the Leeds papers of March 1890.





Yes. Albert Hall, Leeds. Yes, Edgar is on the bill as soloist. George jr's music is being played ... and Edgar seems to be the promotor.

But. Where is the orchestra? Unless they played the Gounod. Otherwise its a piano and fiddle concert.

A is it E or G in the photo. Well, Edgar would have been barely 30 years old. George sr knocking 70.  I guess it is papa ...


Well, now the photo is preserved for posterity and the Leeds archives. And of course the likes of Alamy, Getty and Wikiplegia...

But I've done my bit!


No comments: